If you have a chip on your shoulder—or anywhere else for that matter—you may want to check out an announcement from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before eating it. The announcement is specifically for Lay people, people who have bought particular packages of potato chips from Frito-Lay. Frito-Lay has issued a voluntary recall of 13-ounce and 15 5/8-ounce packages of its Lay’s Classic Potato Chips. This isn’t a total recall, though. The recall should encompass 146 bags that have been distributed in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.
The recall is a result of these chips having gone the milky way. The Lay’s recall came after a consumer had complained about finding milk products in the potato chip bags even though no such ingredients were listed on the package’s label. And the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 does require manufacturers to indicate the presence of any milk because milk is on of the eight most common food allergens. Apparently some sour cream and onion ingredients had somehow made their way into certain bags of Lay’s Classic Party Size Potato Chips and Lay’s Classic Mix and Match Potato Chips.
How can you tell if you have a bad Lay, so to speak? Look for Universal Product Codes (UPCs) of 028400310413 or 0028400720151 on the package. The bags also should bear a “Guaranteed Fresh” date of July 18, 2023, and may have been available in grocery, club and convenience stores as early as April 16, 2023.
So far, no one has reported having an allergic reaction from consuming the products. But that doesn’t mean that you should milk your luck if you are allergic to milk products. Even a small amount of milk could be a problem.
If you are allergic to milk, don’t have a cow. You are not alone. According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, such allergies affect between 2% and 3% of children younger than 3 years old. While a majority of these kids may end up outgrowing such allergies by the time they reach adulthood, milk allergies can persist for a while. Symptoms can range from an upset stomach to hives to vomiting to bloody stools to anaphylaxis. And anaphylaxis isn’t something that you can just walk off or say, “Oh, I’m just suffering a little anaphylaxis. Let’s continue with the date.” Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening unless epinephrine (adrenaline) is promptly given.
When you are allergic to milk, chances are you’re allergic to at least one of the two main types of milk protein. One of these proteins is casein, the “solid” part of milk that constitutes around 80 percent of the protein in milk. So, casein the joint could be a problem. The other main protein is whey, which is in the liquid portion of milk and comprised the remaining 20 percent of milk protein. So, you may be whey out there if you’ve got allergies.
How can you tell if you have milk allergies? Well, if you end up in the hospital every time you drink milk, there’s a good chance that you have milk allergies, assuming that you don’t tend to drink milk while standing in the middle of a highway. The other sign is if a prick tells you—meaning a skin-prick test. Or a blood test. Such test can determine whether you have immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies against milk proteins. Another option is an oral food challenge. This involves ingesting small amount of milk-containing substances while being carefully watched by a medical professional to see whether you develop any kind of reaction.
If you do have milk allergies, check to see where your potato chips may have come from before you eat them. If you do find that they’re not a good Lay’s, you can return the bag for a refund and essentially cash in your chips.